Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My Feelings Exactly

So. I need a new phone, do I finally cave and go Apple? Or, do I carry on with my less "creative," less "impressive," Android?

Let's see what Samsung has to say about this:

Hilarious. "Dude, you're a barista." I think this new campaign captures the people that were on the same fence as I am perfectly. Apple fanboys will buy the 4S, and no one can argue that many of the iPhone exclusive features aren't impressive, but why do people really buy phones? How often will you really use Siri?

This spot pokes fun at all of the drama that people ascribe to new Apple launches, and makes a grab for the people that just need/want a new phone. It is very much a rational ad, fittingly, as Samsung has always been a rational brand. Even among other electronics companies, Samsung has made many of its spots based on the superiority of their product. 

One thing to touch upon here, though, is that it can be dangerous to mention a competitor in an ad, but Samsung tackled this by not mentioning or focusing on the iPhone's features as well as being pretty classy in their dialogue. They poked fun of someone that anyone would have poked fun at, not labeling them as a silly iPhone user, just a silly barista.
Overall, I think this spot works, but I'm still not sure what phone to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment