Monday, November 7, 2011

Another Reason to Never Grow Up


I've spoken about my closeted love of video games before, and I would be remiss to not blog about the heartache that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has imparted upon me. You see, in a futile effort to grow up and press on with maturity I gave my XBox to my younger brother a month ago, and I am now crestfallen to see just how amazing the new Modern Warfare is.



Now, this is not a blog about my life, so let's bring it back on topic. Watch this ad, and tell me you don't want to go shoot stuff.


Yeah. That was Jonah Hill. Which, is not all that surprising. CoD is known for celebrity cameos, the ads for the previous Call of Duty iteration featured Kobe Bryant and Jimmy Kimmel ( CoD:BlackOps )The reasoning, I think, is to appeal to a wider base. You see, based on gameplay alone, your average gamer will buy and play CoD because its just a damn good game. The trick here, is to attract people who might not otherwise play the game. I promise you, if you have any video game experience, you WILL enjoy playing this, especially online where you can match wits against other people

So, Activision, the game's developer, is doing two things with this ad; gamers familiar with the game will recognize the sneak peek at weapons and maps featured in the video, and the non-CoD'r will at least be intrigued enough to spend a little time on it.

The aims of this campaign are to entertain, keep fans intrigued, and attract gamers who might not already be fans of Modern Warfare. In these three goals, I think Activision succeeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment