Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Maybe I'm Not the Target Here...

I got my December issue of Gentleman's Quarterly today, and as I flipped through it, I stumbled upon this Dolce and Gabbana ad...

I'm not a really macho guy, but... yeah. He's naked and I'm not sure I'm okay with that. So, this got me thinking, what makes high end fashion go for this kind of thing? DG isn't the only one who has ads with shirtless guys and while this may be an oversimplification, I don't think there's an overwhelming majority of GQ readers who are also gay. I think DG is betting on the fact that people who buy their products are... vain. I am not cheap, and I love quality, but you won't find me wearing anything from Dolce. I find it too showy, which might be a correlation to why I also dislike this ad.

I digress, DG knows that people who buy their products are willing to drop cash to buy into the emotional appeal that DG offers in its "sexy" image. So, I can see their logic here, but I still find it weird. In fact, I'm not even sure what this guy is selling aside from the image. I'm not the target, but again, that's not the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment